Lentil Stew Recipe
This vegetarian stew is perfect when you want to take a break from meat. Adding the cream at the end gives it a smoother texture.Michelle Collins, Suffolk Virginia
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced, divided
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh gingerroot
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups dried lentils, rinsed
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 6 cups hot cooked basmati or jasmine rice
- Sliced green onions or minced fresh cilantro, optional
- In a large skillet, saute half of the onions in oil until tender. Add ginger and garlic; saute for 1 minute. Add the tomatoes, coriander, cumin and cayenne; cook and stir 5 minutes longer.
- In a 4-or 5-qt. slow cooker, combine the vegetable broth, water, lentils, green chilies, tomato mixture and remaining onion. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until lentils are tender.
- Just before serving, stir cream into slow cooker. In a small skillet, heat butter over medium heat. Add cumin seeds; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until golden brown. Add to lentil mixture.
- To serve, spoon over rice. Sprinkle with green onions or cilantro if desired. Yield: 8 servings (2-3/4 quarts).
Originally published as Lentil Stew in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes Annual 2011, p74
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Lentil Stew(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Slow Cooker Bean Soup >
- Slow Cooker Recipes >
- Slow Cooker Stews >
- Slow Cooker Vegetarian Recipes >
- Soup Recipes >