Lentil Spinach Soup
"Lentils are packed with protein and are an easy change of pace from beans in soup," relates Margaret Wilson of Hemet, California.
5 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 1/2 pound bulk Italian turkey sausage
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 package (10 ounces) fresh spinach, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a large saucepan, cook sausage and onion until meat is no longer
- pink; drain. Stir in the water, lentils, bouillon and red pepper
- flakes. bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25-30
- minutes or until lentils are tender. Stir in spinach, cook 3-5
- minutes longer or until spinach is tender. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Yield: 5 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One serving (1 cup) equals 171 calories, 5 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 26 mg cholesterol, 823 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 16 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 starch.