Lentil Soup Recipe
This hearty soup can be easily doubled for big crowds. My family likes it topped with shredded cheddar cheese.
- 1 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2-1/2 cups chopped fresh tomatoes
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1. In a large saucepan, bring lentils and chicken broth to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer for 30 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute onion and garlic in oil; add to saucepan. Add the tomatoes, carrots, thyme and marjoram. Cook 30 minutes longer or until lentils and vegetables are tender. Yield: about 8 servings (2 quarts).
1 cup equals 142 calories, 3 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 712 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 9 g fiber, 9 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC