Chunks of smoked kielbasa, lentils and veggies—they all add up to one satisfying soup! A side dish is definitely optional. —Pearl Harden, Jamestown, CA
Recommended: 40 Flavor-Packed Healthy Soup Recipes
- 1 pound smoked kielbasa or Polish sausage
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 medium carrots, chopped
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cans (14-1/4 ounces each) reduced-sodium beef broth
- 3/4 cup water
- 1-1/2 cups dried lentils, rinsed
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Remove casings from sausage; cut sausage into 1/2-in. slices. In a 6-qt. stockpot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add sausage, carrots, celery, onion and garlic in batches; cook and stir until vegetables are crisp-tender.
- Add broth, water, lentils and bay leaf; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 20-25 minutes or until lentils are almost tender.
- Stir in remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 15 minutes or until lentils are tender. Remove bay leaf. Yield: 12 servings (3 quarts).
Originally published as Lentil Soup with Sausage in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2016, p33
Reviews for Lentil Soup with Sausage
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review