Lentil Soup for the Soul Recipe
You'll never miss the meat when you serve this wonderful meal-in-a-bowl from Athena Russell of Florence, South Carolina. Rich and satisfying, it simmers with the hefty goodness of root vegetables and cilantro.
- 1/3 cup chopped peeled parsnip
- 1/3 cup diced peeled potato
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1/4 cup chopped leek (white portion only)
- 1/4 cup chopped carrot
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) vegetable broth
- 1 cup no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 1/3 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 1/4 cup dry red wine or additional vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/3 cup minced fresh cilantro
- In a large saucepan, saute the parsnip, potato, onions, leek, carrot and celery in oil for 3 minutes. Add the broth, tomatoes, lentils, wine, Worcestershire sauce and bay leaf. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until lentils are tender.
- Just before serving, discard bay leaf; stir in cilantro. Yield: 3 servings.
Originally published as Lentil Soup for the Soul in Cooking for 2 Winter 2008, p48
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Lentil Soup for the Soul(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Broth Soup Recipes >
- Carrot Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Soup Recipes >
- Comfort Food Vegetarian Recipes >
- Cooking For Two >
- Cooking For Two Magazine >
- Cooking For Two Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Diabetic Soup Recipes >
- Lentil Soup Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Fat Soup Recipes >
- Potato Recipes >
- Soup Recipes >
- Soups & Stews for Two >