This hearty soup can be easily doubled for big crowds. My family likes it topped with shredded cheddar cheese.
- 1 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2-1/2 cups chopped fresh tomatoes
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
- In a large saucepan, bring lentils and chicken broth to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute onion and garlic in oil; add to saucepan. Add the tomatoes, carrots, thyme and marjoram. Cook 30 minutes longer or until lentils and vegetables are tender. Yield: about 8 servings (2 quarts).
Originally published as Lentil Soup in Bountiful Harvest Cookbook 1994, p6
Reviews for Lentil Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review