Lentil Sausage Soup Recipe
- 1 package (19-1/2 ounces) turkey Italian sausage links, casings removed
- 13 cups water
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups dried lentils, rinsed
- 1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 2 cans (one 15 ounces, one 8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2-1/2 cups frozen cheese tortellini
- 1. Crumble sausage into a nonstick skillet. Cook over medium heat until no longer pink; drain.
- 2. In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, combine water, carrots, celery, onion powder, oregano, garlic powder, basil, seasoning salt and pepper. Add lentils and rice. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 18-20 minutes or until lentils and rice are tender.
- 3. Stir in tomato sauce; return to a boil. Add tortellini and sausage. Cook for 3-4 minutes or until tortellini are tender, stirring several times. Yield: 13 servings.
One serving (1-1/2 cups) equals 270 calories, 6 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 27 mg cholesterol, 651 mg sodium, 36 g carbohydrate, 11 g fiber, 20 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 lean meat.