Lentil Rice Medley Recipe
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 1/2 cup uncooked brown rice
- 3-1/4 cups water
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 1 small zucchini, chopped
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1. In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, saute onion and garlic in oil for 1 minute. Add carrots; cook 2 minutes longer. Add lentils and rice; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Stir in the water and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- 2. Stir in broccoli and zucchini; return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes or until lentils and rice are tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in tomato sauce and tomato; heat through. Yield: 12 servings.
2/3 cup: 120 calories, 2g fat (trace saturated fat), 0mg cholesterol, 396mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 7g fiber), 7g protein Diabetic Exchanges:1 starch, 1 vegetable
Reviews for Lentil Rice Medley
"Very good. In Albuquerque it took 1 Hr. to cook lentils and brown rice. Also added 3 3/4cups of water."
"I had a very hard time with this recipe. My rice and lentil took longer to cook then expected and the taste just wasn't to our liken."
"I would rate this 5 out 5, I also added a little cinnamon, coriander and curry powder (not much, just a sprinkle). Shared this with friends and received much positive feedback. Very simple recipe."
"This went over well at a gathering I carried it to, where several of the people were vegetarians. I made it with regular long grain rice, but I want to make it with the brown next time."