With so many fresh ingredients, this medley pairs well with milder foods, such as chicken or fish, and can easily stand alone as a main dish. Writes Dee Fifer of Commerce City, Colorado, “This lentil recipe that I make often for my family and company is always enjoyed.”
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 1/2 cup uncooked brown rice
- 3-1/4 cups water
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 1 small zucchini, chopped
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, saute onion and garlic in oil for 1 minute. Add carrots; cook 2 minutes longer. Add lentils and rice; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Stir in the water and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir in broccoli and zucchini; return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes or until lentils and rice are tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in tomato sauce and tomato; heat through. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Lentil Rice Medley in Light & Tasty December/January 2007, p63
Reviews for Lentil Rice Medley
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review