Lentil Pepperoni Stew Recipe
- 6 cups water
- 1-1/2 cups lentils, rinsed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 pound sliced turkey pepperoni, quartered
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 celery rib with leaves, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 1. In a Dutch oven, combine the water, lentils, onion, pepperoni, tomato paste and seasonings; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- 2. Add the tomatoes, celery and carrot; cover and simmer 35-45 minutes longer or until vegetables are tender. Yield: 6 servings.
1-1/2 cups equals 244 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 23 mg cholesterol, 974 mg sodium, 37 g carbohydrate, 12 g fiber, 20 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 2 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.