Turkey pepperoni nicely spices this thick lentil stew with its rich tomato broth. "This is a 'stick-to-your-ribs' mainstay at our house," says Diane Hixon of Niceville, Florida.
- 6 cups water
- 1-1/2 cups lentils, rinsed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 pound sliced turkey pepperoni, quartered
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 celery rib with leaves, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- In a Dutch oven, combine the water, lentils, onion, pepperoni, tomato paste and seasonings; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, celery and carrot; cover and simmer 35-45 minutes longer or until vegetables are tender. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Lentil Pepperoni Stew in Light & Tasty April/May 2003, p49
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Lentil Pepperoni Stew
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jan. 4, 2014
"A nice, easy, and tasty stew that the whole family enjoyed. Great for a simple dinner."