Lentil Loaf Recipe
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) vegetable broth
- 3/4 cup lentils, rinsed
- 1-3/4 cups shredded carrots
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Galbani® Part Skim Mozzarella Cheese
- 1/2 cup cooked brown rice
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1. In a saucepan, bring broth and lentils to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 30 minutes or until tender. In a nonstick skillet, saute carrots, onion and mushrooms in oil 10 minutes or until tender. Add basil and parsley; saute 5 minutes.
- 2. Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, combine carrot mixture, cooked lentils, cheese, rice, egg, egg white, garlic powder, salt and pepper; mix well.
- 3. Transfer to a 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Combine tomato paste and water until smooth; spread over top of loaf. Bake 45-50 minutes or until a thermometer inserted into the center reads 160°. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting. Yield: 6 servings.
One serving equals 218 calories, 7 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 46 mg cholesterol, 613 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 9 g fiber, 15 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.