- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) vegetable broth
- 3/4 cup lentils, rinsed
- 1-3/4 cups shredded carrots
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup cooked brown rice
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons water
- In a saucepan, bring broth and lentils to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 30 minutes or until tender. In a nonstick skillet, saute carrots, onion and mushrooms in oil 10 minutes or until tender. Add basil and parsley; saute 5 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, combine carrot mixture, cooked lentils, cheese, rice, egg, egg white, garlic powder, salt and pepper; mix well.
- Transfer to a 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Combine tomato paste and water until smooth; spread over top of loaf. Bake 45-50 minutes or until a thermometer inserted into the center reads 160°. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting. Yield: 6 servings.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Lentil Loaf
"I tried to reduce the fat and omitted the cheese. It was seriously lacking. I will try again next time with the cheese."
"Never thought a meat-less loaf would taste so darn good!!! I made a few changes so that it would be more similar to my traditional meat loaf: replaced the chopped mushrooms with 1 C. finely diced mixture of onion, celery, and carrots; replaced the rice with 3/4 C. quick oats (uncooked); used 2 whole eggs; added 2 T. red wine; used ketchup rather than the tomato paste and water. Serve with mashed potatoes and vegetarian gravy. Makes a great comfort food meal that everyone loves."
"I've been a vegetarian all of my 81 years and was brought up having Lentil Roats(loaf). I make it different each time but needed this one to really go by. It is great but I had to put a little hot sauce in mine."
"I really enjoyed this, great nutrition in a comfort type meal. You will not miss the meat and you won't feel guilty if you eat more than one serving. Use a food processor and it's quite easy!"