Cumin and chili powder perk up this saucy lentil and ground turkey blend from Noel Egert Diebel of Richland, Washington.
8 ServingsPrep:5 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1 can (49 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups lentils, rinsed
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a Dutch oven, cook turkey over medium heat until no longer pink;
- drain. Add the remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat;
- cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until lentils are tender.
- Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1-1/2 cups equals 278 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 45 mg cholesterol, 918 mg sodium, 35 g carbohydrate, 12 g fiber, 25 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Wine: Light-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.