Give any meal an exotic flair with this zesty twist on Middle Eastern tabbouleh—a traditional bulgur salad with tomatoes, onions and parsley. Laura Bryant German of West Warren, Massachusetts tosses her version with lentils and feta cheese.
Recommended: 39 Amazing Ways to Love Whole Grains
- 1-1/2 cups boiling water
- 1-1/2 cups bulgur
- 5 cups water
- 1-1/2 cups dried lentils, rinsed
- 1 cup diced green onion
- 1 cup diced sweet red pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon dill seed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup feta cheese
- In a large bowl, pour boiling water over bulgur; let stand until the liquid is absorbed, about 30 minutes. Meanwhile, in a saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add lentils. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until tender, about 15 minutes. Drain. In another large bowl, combine bulgur and lentils; cool completely.
- Add the peppers, onions and parsley. In a jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine the vinegar, oil, basil, dill, salt and pepper. Pour over salad; toss to coat. Crumble feta cheese over top; toss again. Cover and refrigerate for 4 hours or until serving. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Lentil Bulgur Salad in Light & Tasty February/March 2005, p22
Reviews for Lentil Bulgur Salad
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jan. 8, 2012