Lentil Bread Recipe
- 3/4 cup lentils, rinsed
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 4-1/2 teaspoons finely chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1-1/2 cups warm fat-free milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 6 to 7 cups bread flour
- In a saucepan, combine the lentils, water, onion and garlic; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until lentils are tender. Cool slightly. Transfer mixture to a blender or food processor; cover and process until smooth. Cool to 110°-115°.
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the milk, lentil mixture, oil, sugar, Parmesan, salt, whole wheat flour and 3 cups bread flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining bread flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface. Divide into thirds; shape into loaves. Place in three greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes. Bake at 375° for 35-45 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 3 loaves (12 slices each).
Reviews for Lentil Bread
Sort By :
"turned out well , must let it rise higher"
"Made this bread just before Christmas. Kept one loaf and gave other two away. Great taste, very moist. Loaves sunk a little on top, but I think I need to work more flour into the loaves next time. Will definitely make again!"
"This is great! I used 2 cups leftover lentil soup (buzzed in the blender) and the loaves were good tasting with a nice crumb. I'm making it again today."