- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 cups V8 juice
- 2-1/2 cups chopped seeded plum tomatoes (about 8)
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 3/4 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 1/2 cup medium pearl barley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/2 cup shredded carrot
- 3/4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- In a large saucepan, saute celery and onion in butter until tender. Add the V8 juice, tomatoes, water, lentils, barley and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Add carrot; cook 10 minutes longer or until barley and lentils are tender. If desired, stir in additional water for a thinner stew. Sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Lentil Barley Stew in Light & Tasty October/November 2002, p62
Reviews for Lentil Barley Stew
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review