Lentil Barley Soup Recipe
Meet the Cook: Soups are one of my favorite things to prepare - they're so easy, and nothing is better on a chilly evening with some homemade bread or biscuits. I am only 26 and married for just a year, so I don't consider myself an "experienced" cook. But I do love to try new recipes with a country flair. -Anita Warner, Mt. Crawford, Virginia
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 can (49-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 3 medium carrots, chopped
- 1/2 cup dried lentils
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup cubed cooked chicken or turkey
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking barley
- 2 medium fresh mushrooms, chopped
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 1. In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, saute the onion, green pepper and garlic in butter until tender. Add broth, carrots, lentils, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25 minutes.
- 2. Add chicken, barley and mushrooms; return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until the lentils, barley and carrots are tender. Add tomatoes; heat through. Yield: 8-10 servings (about 2-1/2 quarts).
1 serving (1 cup) equals 155 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 16 mg cholesterol, 949 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 11 g protein.
Reviews for Lentil Barley Soup
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC