Lentil-Barley Ham Soup Recipe
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 1/2 teaspoon each dried basil, oregano and rosemary, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 3/4 cup sliced fresh carrots
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute the onion, celery and garlic in butter until tender. Stir in the broth, lentils, basil, oregano, rosemary and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- 2. Add ham and carrots. Cover and simmer 10 minutes longer. Return to a boil; stir in the barley. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until barley and lentils are tender. Stir in tomatoes; heat through. Yield: 5 servings.
1-1/3 cups equals 247 calories, 5 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 22 mg cholesterol, 1,172 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 12 g fiber, 19 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable.