Lentil-Barley Ham Soup Recipe
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 1/2 teaspoon each dried basil, oregano and rosemary, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 3/4 cup sliced fresh carrots
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- In a large saucepan, saute the onion, celery and garlic in butter until tender. Stir in the broth, lentils, basil, oregano, rosemary and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add ham and carrots. Cover and simmer 10 minutes longer. Return to a boil; stir in the barley. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until barley and lentils are tender. Stir in tomatoes; heat through. Yield: 5 servings.
Reviews for Lentil-Barley Ham Soup(3)
Sort By :
Super flavour, I increased the amt of herbs & garlic. Sooooooo good!!!!!!
Love, Love, this soup. The only changes, olive oil for butter, canned lentils, and I also added mushrooms (about a cup & 1/2) when I was sauteing the vegetables. I also only used about half of the canned tomatoes.
Delish - our family loved the veggies and grain combination. The broth has just enough herbs for a great flavor (added 2 cups of ham broth to make it more soupy). I served this soup with Applesauce Walnut Muffins. Nice combination.
More Recipe Collections
- Barley Soup >
- Broth Soup Recipes >
- Carrot Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Diabetic Soup Recipes >
- Ham Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Soup Recipes >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Healthy Soup Recipes >
- Italian Recipes >
- Italian Soup >
- Italian Soups >