Lentil and Pasta Stew Recipe
- 1/2 pound smoked kielbasa or Polish sausage, chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup cubed peeled potatoes
- 3/4 cup sliced fresh carrots
- 1 celery rib, sliced
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 5 cups beef broth
- 1 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 1 cup canned diced tomatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup uncooked ditalini or other small pasta
- Shredded Romano cheese
- 1. Brown kielbasa in oil and butter in a large skillet. Add the potatoes, carrots, celery and onion. Cook and stir for 3 minutes over medium heat. Transfer to a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker. Stir in the broth, lentils, tomatoes, bay leaf, pepper and salt.
- 2. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until lentils are tender. Cook pasta according to package directions; drain. Stir pasta into slow cooker. Discard bay leaf. Sprinkle servings with cheese. Yield: 8 servings.
1 cup (calculated without cheese): 364 calories, 18g fat (6g saturated fat), 30mg cholesterol, 1021mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 9g fiber), 15g protein.
Reviews for Lentil and Pasta Stew
"This isn't as impressive as I thought it would be. I liked it but I felt it needed a fresh element. It was very heavy."
"We loved this-it's very good and also very healthy. I used a pound of sausage instead of 1/2 pound so that it would be a main course that is filling enough even for my husband. So yummy."
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.