Lentil and Brown Rice Soup Recipe
The first time I made this soup, I thought our teenage son would turn up his nose. Much to my delight—and surprise—he loved every bite! I know you will, too.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Cook: 35 min. YIELD:14 servings
- 2 quarts water
- 3/4 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 1/2 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 4 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar, optional
- 1. In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, combine all ingredients except vinegar; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 35-45 minutes or until lentils and rice are tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in vinegar if desired. Yield: 12-14 servings (3-1/2 quarts).
1 serving (1 cup) equals 78 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), trace cholesterol, 624 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC