Lentil & Chicken Sausage Stew Recipe
- 1 carton (32 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 fully cooked spicy chicken sausage links (3 ounces each), cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- In a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker, combine all ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until lentils are tender. Yield: 6 servings.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Lentil & Chicken Sausage Stew
Sort By :
"I have made this soup a few times and the family loves it. A snowy day in Georgia and had to throw this soup in the crockpot. I used an Italian chicken sausage and added turkey pepperoni. I also added a red pepper and a little dried oregano."
"I can see why this won a contest. It's been one of my favorite cold-weather meals since I found it in September. I misread the recipe and bought bulk chicken sausage (I got spicy Italian), so I browned it before making the recipe as written. Freezes like a charm."
"Tasty! Had Beef Kielbasa so used that & beef broth, also added the kale suggested below."
"Good, rich flavors. I added a 1/2 tsp each of cumin, summer savory, and rosemary.Beware: using double-smoked sausage can overwhelm the other flavors in the soup. A spiced, single smoked sausage would be better."