Lentil & Chicken Sausage Stew
This hearty and healthy soup will warm your family up right down to their toes! It’s packed with veggies and warm tastes of autumn. Serve with cornbread or rolls to soak up every last morsel. —Jan Valdez, Chicago
6 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 8 hours
- 1 carton (32 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 fully cooked spicy chicken sausage links (3 ounces each), cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- In a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker, combine all ingredients. Cover and cook
- on low for 8-10 hours or until lentils are tender. Yield: 6
Nutritional Facts: 1-1/2 cups equals 231 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 33 mg cholesterol, 803 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 13 g fiber, 19 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1 starch.
Wine: Light-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.