- 1 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium red onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4-1/2 cups uncooked bow tie pasta
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1/2 cup chopped pistachios
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
- Additional shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a large bowl, combine the asparagus, red pepper, onion, oil, salt and pepper. Transfer to a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake at 450° for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown, stirring once.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions. In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in the flour, garlic and pepper flakes until blended. Whisk in broth until blended. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly.
- Reduce heat. Stir in the cheese, sour cream, lemon juice and peel; heat through. Drain pasta and place in a large bowl. Add cheese sauce and asparagus mixture; toss to coat. Sprinkle with pistachios, basil and additional cheese. Yield: 7 servings.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Lemony Vegetables and Pasta
"I love this dish! Perfect for summer."
"Very easy to prepare, enjoyable meal without meat"
"Can I have the nutritional information? It is very good..."
"delicious! kids and adults asked for seconds!"
"Yum this sounds wonderful. I will have to make it.Shannon"
"This was very good. I added chicken (chopped)to it. The red pepper flake definitely gives it a little kick!"
"Sounds delicious! I will try this recipe."
"Thank you for posting this recipe, I will fix it tonight, sounds sooooo goood!"
"EXCELLENT! Easy to prepare and tastes great, two of my favorite things in a recipe. I will make this one again and again."