Lemony Vegetables and Pasta Recipe
My refreshing pasta dish comes together in 30 minutes. Its simplicity and flavor combinations are typical of authentic Italian cuisine. Buon appetito!
- 1 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium red onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4-1/2 cups uncooked bow tie pasta
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1/2 cup chopped pistachios
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
- Additional shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the asparagus, red pepper, onion, oil, salt and pepper. Transfer to a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake at 450° for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown, stirring once.
- 2. Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions. In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in the flour, garlic and pepper flakes until blended. Whisk in broth until blended. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly.
- 3. Reduce heat. Stir in the cheese, sour cream, lemon juice and peel; heat through. Drain pasta and place in a large bowl. Add cheese sauce and asparagus mixture; toss to coat. Sprinkle with pistachios, basil and additional cheese. Yield: 7 servings.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC