Lemony Turkey Rice Soup Recipe
- 6 cups chicken broth, divided
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 2 cups diced cooked turkey
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine 5-1/2 cups of broth, soup, rice, turkey and pepper. Bring to a boil; boil for 3 minutes.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and remaining broth until smooth. Gradually stir into hot soup. Cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened and heated through. Remove from the heat; stir in lemon juice and cilantro. Yield: 8 servings (about 2 quarts).
1 serving (1 cup) equals 166 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 30 mg cholesterol, 1,012 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 14 g protein.
Reviews for Lemony Turkey Rice Soup
"Really, souper easy! Since I used barley instead of rice, I made the following changes:Mix chicken broth, soup and barley. Cook until barley is tender - about 1 hour. Added leftover cubed turkey. Squeeze in the juice of one lemon. Also, I added the lemon zest, which I removed with a potato peeler in strips. The peel will cook away any bitterness in the pith and when you bite into it, you'll get a lovely burst of lemon.Instead of corn starch (which only thickens until your saliva enzymes on your spoon render the soup thin again), I made about 1/4 c. roux with butter, flour and chicken stock in a pan which I had caramelized onions for another recipe.I simmered this until it was nice and thick and topped with cilantro, because I love cilantro! My soup was thick, hearty and full of flavor! Delicious! I can't wait to see how the flavors develop tomorrow!"
"Delicious and so easy. The change I made was using uncooked chicken instead of cooked turkey. I cubed the chicken and cooked it right in the broth. Also added a pint container of cooked rice leftover from a restaurant meal the day before; we like the flavor of lemon in soup, so I added 1/3 cup lemon juice. The cilantro gave it a nice additional layer of flavor."
"So unusual and so tasty as written! A true comfort food!"
"Super post Thanksgiving meal!"
"I love how easy this to make with leftovers!"
"I use leftover chicken in this recipe and my family loves it."
"Very quick and tasty, I didn't add the cilantro and used more lemon juice. This will be a regular soup during the week in our cold winter months."