Lemony Tropic Layered Dessert Recipe
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) crushed pineapple
- 2 packages (3 ounces each) lemon gelatin
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 cups cold water
- 4 medium firm bananas, chopped
- 1 cup miniature marshmallows
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the flour, walnuts and brown sugar; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Press into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
- 2. For filling, drain pineapple, reserving juice for topping. Set pineapple aside. In a large bowl, dissolve gelatin in boiling water; stir in cold water. Refrigerate until thickened, about 1 hour.
- 3. Fold in the bananas, marshmallows and reserved pineapple. Spoon over crust. Refrigerate until firm, about 45 minutes.
- 4. For topping, combine reserved pineapple juice and enough water to measure 1 cup. In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, flour and pineapple juice mixture until smooth. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat.
- 5. Stir a small amount of hot mixture into eggs. Return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Transfer to a small bowl; cool completely. Fold in whipped cream. Spread over gelatin layer. Refrigerate until chilled. Yield: 15 servings.
1 piece equals 279 calories, 11 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 50 mg cholesterol, 83 mg sodium, 44 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 5 g protein.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.