Lemony Spinach-Stuffed Chicken Breasts Recipe
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet onion
- 3 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 6-1/2 cups fresh baby spinach, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- 1. In a large skillet, cook onion in 2 teaspoons oil over medium heat for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown, stirring frequently. Add the spinach, garlic and vinegar; cook until spinach is wilted. Remove from the heat; cool for 5 minutes. Stir in the cheese, lemon peel, salt and pepper.
- 2. Flatten chicken to 1/4-in. thickness. Spread spinach mixture over chicken. Roll up and secure with toothpicks.
- 3. In a large skillet over medium heat, cook chicken in remaining oil for 8-10 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 170°. Discard toothpicks. Yield: 4 servings.
1 each: 253 calories, 9g fat (2g saturated fat), 98mg cholesterol, 337mg sodium, 5g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fiber), 37g protein Diabetic Exchanges: 5 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Reviews for Lemony Spinach-Stuffed Chicken Breasts
"We liked this a lot. The spinach and caramelized onion had wonderful flavor. Served with whole wheat couscous which worked very well."
"Very good, family favorite now!"
"What a great idea spikexyz."
"I would assume the long cooking time is so that the onions become carmelized - yummy!"
"Onions take a long time to get to a golden brown. I usually saute 3 lbs onions at a time for about 40 minutes, lay them out on a flat metal sheet, freeze them and place them in a zip lock bag. Then I break off a chunk whenever a recipe calls for cooked onion."
"Cook onion for 15-20 minutes? That seems like an awfully long time!"