Lemony Spinach-Stuffed Chicken Breasts Recipe
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet onion
- 3 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 6-1/2 cups fresh baby spinach, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- 1. In a large skillet, cook onion in 2 teaspoons oil over medium heat for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown, stirring frequently. Add the spinach, garlic and vinegar; cook until spinach is wilted. Remove from the heat; cool for 5 minutes. Stir in the cheese, lemon peel, salt and pepper.
- 2. Flatten chicken to 1/4-in. thickness. Spread spinach mixture over chicken. Roll up and secure with toothpicks.
- 3. In a large skillet over medium heat, cook chicken in remaining oil for 8-10 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 170°. Discard toothpicks. Yield: 4 servings.
1 stuffed chicken breast half equals 253 calories, 9 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 98 mg cholesterol, 337 mg sodium, 5 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 37 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 5 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.