Lemony Shrimp 'n' Asparagus Recipe
- 1 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-1/2-inch pieces
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, julienned
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons water
- 3/4 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 5 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- Hot cooked rice, optional
- 1. In a 2-qt. microwave-safe bowl, combine the asparagus, red pepper, garlic and water. Cover and microwave on high for 4 minutes. Add shrimp; cover and cook for 2 minutes or until shrimp turn pink and asparagus is tender. With a slotted spoon, remove shrimp and vegetables; keep warm.
- 2. Add the soy sauce, lemon juice and peel to the microwave dish. In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch and cold water until smooth. Stir into soy sauce mixture.
- 3. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Return the shrimp mixture to the bowl; toss to coat. Serve with rice if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
1 cup (prepared with reduced-sodium soy sauce and calculated without rice) equals 103 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), 126 mg cholesterol, 757 mg sodium, 7 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 16 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 lean meat, 1 vegetable.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.