From Scribner, Nebraska, Becky Von Segern sends this marvelous main dish that cooks quickly in the microwave yet is special enough to serve to company. "It's a pretty and tasty way to use your spring harvest of asparagus." she assures. "An added bonus is the low calorie count."
Recommended: 66 Recipes to Make This Spring
- 1 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-1/2-inch pieces
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, julienned
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons water
- 3/4 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 5 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- Hot cooked rice, optional
- In a 2-qt. microwave-safe bowl, combine the asparagus, red pepper, garlic and water. Cover and microwave on high for 4 minutes. Add shrimp; cover and cook for 2 minutes or until shrimp turn pink and asparagus is tender. With a slotted spoon, remove shrimp and vegetables; keep warm.
- Add the soy sauce, lemon juice and peel to the microwave dish. In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch and cold water until smooth. Stir into soy sauce mixture.
- Microwave, uncovered, on high for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Return the shrimp mixture to the bowl; toss to coat. Serve with rice if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Lemony Shrimp N' Asparagus in Quick Cooking March/April 2005, p24
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Lemony Shrimp 'n' Asparagus
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review