Lemony Rhubarb Pie Recipe
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 7 to 10 tablespoons ice water
- 4 cups chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb, thawed
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Additional sugar, optional
- 1. In a small bowl, mix flour and salt; cut in shortening until crumbly. Gradually add ice water, tossing with a fork until dough holds together when pressed. Divide dough in half. Shape each into a disk; wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate 30 minutes or overnight.
- 2. Preheat oven to 425°. In a large bowl, combine the first six filling ingredients; toss to combine.
- 3. On a lightly floured surface, roll one half of dough to fit a 9-in. pie plate; transfer to pie plate. Trim pastry even with rim. Add filling; dot with butter. Roll remaining dough to fit top of pie. Place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edge. Cut slits in top. If desired, sprinkle with additional sugar. Bake 10 minutes.
- 4. Reduce oven setting to 350°. Bake 40-45 minutes longer or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 8 servings.
1 piece: 403 calories, 20g fat (5g saturated fat), 4mg cholesterol, 235mg sodium, 51g carbohydrate (20g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein .
Reviews for Lemony Rhubarb Pie
"Hi KimSwartz!This recipe was only featured in the Ipad edition of that issue. Hope that helps clear it up for you.Sue StetzelTaste of Home Magazine"
"I think there is an error as to the location of this recipe in the magazines. I have checked through my April/May 2013 issue of Taste of Home and cannot find this pie recipe anywhere. Does anyone know in which issue it was originally published? Thanks!"
"It's not quite Rhubarb time in PA, but as soon as it is I will make this pie. My husband LOVES pie. Exactly like my recipe except the lemon, which I will add. I'm giving it five stars even though I haven't made it yet but is so close to my recipe I KNOW it's yummy!!"
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.