Lemony Mushroom Orzo Soup
My grandmother used to make a similar classic Greek soup (Avgolemono) every Sunday after church. Here's my version of her recipe that the kids and I came up with while tooling around with different ingredients. I think my Yia-Yia would be proud.—Nick Haros, Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania
8 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 pound sliced fresh button mushrooms
- 1 pound sliced fresh baby portobello mushrooms
- 1 celery rib, sliced
- 2 cartons (32 ounces each) chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked orzo pasta
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Minced fresh parsley
- In a Dutch oven, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and
- celery; cook and stir 6-7 minutes or until tender. Add broth and
- bouillon; bring to a boil. Stir in orzo; return to a boil. Cook,
- uncovered, 7-9 minutes or until orzo is al dente, stirring
- occasionally. Remove from heat; let stand 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk eggs, lemon juice and pepper.
- Gradually whisk in 1-1/2 cups of the hot broth; return all to pan,
- stirring constantly. Cook over medium heat until broth is slightly
- thickened, stirring occasionally. (Do not allow to boil.) Top
- servings with parsley. Yield: 8 servings (2-3/4 quarts).