Lemony Mushroom Orzo Soup Recipe
My grandmother used to make a similar classic Greek soup, avgolemono, every Sunday after church. Here’s my version of her recipe. The kids and I came up with this variation while experimenting with different ingredients. I think my yia-yia would be proud. —Nick Haros, Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 pound sliced fresh button mushrooms
- 1 pound sliced fresh baby portobello mushrooms
- 1 celery rib, sliced
- 2 cartons (32 ounces each) chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked orzo pasta
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Minced fresh parsley
- 1. In a Dutch oven, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and celery; cook and stir 6-7 minutes or until tender. Add broth and bouillon; bring to a boil. Stir in orzo; return to a boil. Cook, uncovered, 7-9 minutes or until orzo is al dente, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; let stand 5 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk eggs, lemon juice and pepper. Gradually whisk in 1-1/2 cups of the hot broth; return all to pan, stirring constantly. Cook over medium heat until broth is slightly thickened, stirring occasionally. (Do not allow to boil.) Top servings with parsley. Yield: 8 servings (2-3/4 quarts).
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC