Lemony Mushroom-Orzo Soup
“Here's a versatile soup that works as an appetizer or side for a sandwich lunch. It's loaded with mushrooms and orzo pasta-and lemon livens up its mild flavor.” —Edrie O'Brien, Denver, Colorado
2 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2-1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup uncooked orzo pasta
- 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- In a small saucepan, saute mushrooms and onions in oil until tender.
- Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the broth, parsley, thyme
- and pepper.
- Bring to a boil. Stir in the orzo, lemon juice and peel. Cook for 5-6
- minutes or until pasta is tender. Yield: 2 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 cup equals 194 calories, 8 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 4 mg cholesterol, 744 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 7 g protein.