Lemony Herbed Rice
I substituted reduced-sodium chicken broth for the rich chicken stock that was originally called for in this recipe. It's a great side dish to serve with grilled fish or chicken for a tasty low-fat meal.
Connie Rank-Smith of Sherwood, Wisconsin
7 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1-1/3 cups uncooked long grain rice
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies, drained
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon each minced fresh parsley, cilantro and chives
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large saucepan, combine the broth, rice, chilies and salt; bring
- to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until
- rice is tender. Remove from the heat; let stand for 5 minutes. Fluff
- with a fork and stir in the remaining ingredients. Yield: 7
Nutritional Facts: One serving (2/3 cup) equals 151 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 578 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch.