Lemony Gingerbread Whoopie Pies Recipe
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1 large egg
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup marshmallow creme
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in molasses and egg. Combine flour, ginger, cinnamon, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate at least 3 hours.
- 2. Preheat oven to 350°. Shape into 1-in. balls; roll in sugar. Place 3 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Flatten to 1/2-in. thickness with a glass dipped in sugar. Bake 8-10 minutes or until set. Cool 2 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- 3. For filling, in a small bowl, beat butter and marshmallow creme until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar and extract.
- 4. Spread filling on the bottoms of half of the cookies, about 1 tablespoon on each; top with remaining cookies. Yield: about 2 dozen.
1 each: 286 calories, 13g fat (8g saturated fat), 42mg cholesterol, 184mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (26g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein .
Reviews for Lemony Gingerbread Whoopie Pies
"These are delicious. These are even great without the filling."
"Yummy! I usually make chocolate Whoopie Pies for the kids' snack after the first day of school. Our granddaughter was to be here after her first day of 1st grade, and she loves ginger so I tried these. Success! She loved them. I was short of marshmallow so used a cream cheese frosting which was delicious. Definitely a favorite in this family."
"They are wonderful I added lemon zest, because I had cheap extact.I can think of so many filligs that would be great with this reciepe. Thank you so much!"
"This is our new favorite cookie! One suggestion: put them in the refrigerator to firm up the filling, then set out to soften a little before eating."
"not bad, but not as soft as i expected. Not very lemony, next time i will increase the lemon. They are a lot softer the 2nd day."
"Absolutely Fantastic. I loved everything about this recipe! It was a hit among my teachers! Amazing."
"Update: These treasures will call your name repeatedly, throughout the day, until you enjoy JUST ONE MORE---lol."
"SOOOOOOOOOOOOO Good!!! I always end up doubling the recipe so that there are plenty to go around."
"My first attempt at this kind of cookie; I was very pleased with the results! A very rich cookie---one does it for me. I thought the filling was just right. I stored them in a plastic container overnight---they were softer the next day. Do try this recipe!"
"Wow! These are great. Very sweet and rich, but that makes you savor every bite! I took them to work and they were a big hit!"
"I've tried several different whoopie pie recipes lately and these were the best. The amount of filling in the recipe was perfect for the number of cookies I got from the dough. I used a # 40 (3/4 oz) disher-scooper for the dough and the filling and ended up with 21 whoopie pies. My cookies were soft - just right. I'm thinking maybe lclark58 might have pressed them too thin or baked too long. Wrapped individually in plastic, these are great for snacks on the go."
"The best whoopie pie I have tried so far!"
"Absolutely fabulous! I made these for a stamping get together and everyone begged for the recipe!"
"My friends and family all gave good reviews of this recipe. Next time I will use a little less butter and a little more marshmallow creme in the filling. Bottom line: delicious & impressive. Nice with a cup of tea."
"These are very tasty, but should be called sandwich cookies as they are not soft like a whoopie pie."
"This is my families new all time favorite. Everyone loves the soft cookie with an amazingly beautiful flavor. These were enjoyed by grandparents and grandkids as well. We did find that we would enjoy them just as well with only a single cookie that was frosted instead of sandwiching them. Delicious ! We will enjoy these for years to come and recommend everyone add this one to you recipe box !!"