Lemony Fruit Salad
When I was a teenager, I did all the cooking for my family of 10. I came up with this recipe when I was partway through making a different salad and discovered I didn't have all the ingredients.
8 ServingsPrep: 10 min. + Cook: 5 min. + chilling
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1-1/2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 4 medium apples, diced
- 1 can (11 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 1/2 cup raisins
- Lettuce leaves, optional
- For dressing, combine the sugar, lemon juice, lemon peel and poppy
- seeds in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat for 5-6 minutes or
- until sugar is dissolved, stirring occasionally. Remove from the
- heat; cool.
- In a large bowl, combine the apples, oranges, carrot and raisins. Add
- dressing and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 4 hours. Serve
- in a lettuce-lined bowl if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 125 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 7 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 1 g protein.