When I was a teenager, I did all the cooking for my family of 10. I came up with this recipe when I was partway through making a different salad and discovered I didn't have all the ingredients.
Recommended: 66 Recipes to Make This Spring
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1-1/2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 4 medium apples, diced
- 1 can (11 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 1/2 cup raisins
- Lettuce leaves, optional
- For dressing, combine the sugar, lemon juice, lemon peel and poppy seeds in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat for 5-6 minutes or until sugar is dissolved, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat; cool.
- In a large bowl, combine the apples, oranges, carrot and raisins. Add dressing and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 4 hours. Serve in a lettuce-lined bowl if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Lemony Fruit Salad in Country Extra May 2005, p49
Reviews for Lemony Fruit Salad
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Mar. 25, 2010
"This sounded good and looked pretty, but the taste was disappointing. It was a waste of perfectly good ingredients!"