Lemony Fennel Olives
When spring arrives, I like to prepare recipes with fresh flavor. This make-ahead dish can be served as an appetizer alongside crackers or as a condiment for a meat entree.Lorraine Caland, Thunder Bay, Ontario
16 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + chilling
- 1 small fennel bulb
- 2 cups pitted ripe olives
- 1 small lemon, cut into wedges
- 1/2 teaspoon whole peppercorns
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- Trim fennel bulb and cut into wedges. Snip feathery fronds; reserve 2
- teaspoons. In a small saucepan, bring salted water to a boil. Add
- fennel. Boil, uncovered, for 1 minute or until crisp-tender. Drain
- and rinse in cold water.
- In a large bowl, combine the fennel, olives, lemon wedges,
- peppercorns and reserved fennel fronds. Whisk oil and lemon juice;
- pour over olive mixture. Toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate
- Remove from the refrigerator 1 hour before serving. Transfer to a
- serving bowl; serve with a slotted spoon. Yield: 16 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1/4 cup equals 83 calories, 8 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 132 mg sodium, 3 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, trace protein.