Lemony Daffodil Cake Recipe
- 1-1/4 cups egg whites (about 9)
- 1 package (2.9 ounces) cook-and-serve lemon pudding mix
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/3 cups sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 21 Kraft StackerMallows
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup, warmed
- 2 tablespoons yellow colored sugar
- 1. Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Meanwhile prepare pudding according to package directions, reducing water to 2 cups. Transfer to a large bowl; cover and cool to room temperature.
- 2. Add cream of tartar and salt to egg whites; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, beating on high until stiff glossy peaks form. Gradually fold in flour, 1/4 cup at a time.
- 3. Divide mixture in half. Fold vanilla into one portion; set aside. In another bowl, beat egg yolks on high speed until thick and lemon-colored. Stir in almond extract. Fold in unflavored egg white batter.
- 4. Alternately spoon white and yellow batters into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Gently cut through batter with a knife to swirl. Bake on the lowest rack at 325° for 45-55 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched. Immediately invert pan; cool completely, about 1 hour.
- 5. In a small bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add confectioners' sugar; beat until stiff peaks form. Using a whisk, fold into cooled pudding. Cover and refrigerate until chilled.
- 6. Cut six marshmallows with a 1-1/4-in. scalloped round cookie cutter; cut holes in the centers with an apple corer or 3/4-in. round cutter. Brush tops with warm corn syrup; dip tops and sides in sugar. Cut 15 marshmallows with a 2-in. teardrop-shaped cookie cutter; brush with corn syrup and coat with sugar.
- 7. Run a knife around sides and center tube of pan. Remove cake to a serving plate; split into two horizontal layers. Spread pudding mixture between layers and over top and sides of cake. Just before serving, decorate with cutouts to make daffodils. Yield: 12 servings.
1 slice (calculated without daffodils): 290 calories, 10g fat (5g saturated fat), 130mg cholesterol, 186mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate (34g sugars, trace fiber), 6g protein
Reviews for Lemony Daffodil Cake
"Cake was extra-delicious. However, it did not look like picture. When I added the pudding, it was lumpy."
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.