Lemony Coconut Frozen Yogurt
Whenever I crave something cold to beat the heat, I whip this yogurt together and share with family. Everyone enjoys the sweet relief! — Caitlyn Heinz, Ovid, New York
10 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + chilling Process: 15 min.
- 4 cups (32 ounces) plain yogurt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons grated lemon peel
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut, toasted
- Ice cream waffle bowls, optional
- Fresh blueberries and raspberries, optional
- Line a strainer or colander with four layers of cheesecloth or one
- coffee filter; place over a bowl. Place yogurt in prepared strainer;
- refrigerate, covered, 3 hours. Remove yogurt from cheesecloth and
- place in a large bowl; discard drained liquid.
- Whisk sugar, lemon juice and lemon peel into yogurt until sugar is
- dissolved. Stir in cream. Pour into cylinder of ice cream freezer;
- freeze according to the manufacturer’s directions, adding coconut
- during the last 5 minutes of processing time. If desired, serve in
- waffle bowls and top with berries. Yield: 1-1/4 quarts.
Nutritional Facts: 1/2 cup (calculated without optional ingredients) equals 177 calories, 7 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 25 mg cholesterol, 69 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1-1/2 fat.