Lemony Chicken Soup Recipe
While living in California, I enjoyed a delicious chicken-lemon soup at a local restaurant. When I returned to Texas, I longed for it but never came across a recipe. I experimented with many versions before creating this one. —Brenda Tollett San Antonio, Texas
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 25 min. YIELD:8 servings
- 1/3 cup butter, cubed
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1-1/2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Dash ground nutmeg
- 8 lemon slices
- 1. In a soup kettle or large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually add the broth, milk and cream. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- 2. Stir in the chicken, lemon juice, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Cook over medium heat until heated through, stirring occasionally. Garnish each serving with a lemon slice. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
1 serving (1 cup) equals 230 calories, 14 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 63 mg cholesterol, 975 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 12 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC