- 1/3 cup butter, cubed
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1-1/2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Dash ground nutmeg
- Lemon wedges
- In a large heavy saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually whisk in broth, milk and cream. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in chicken, lemon juice and seasonings; heat through over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Serve with lemon wedges. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Reviews forLemony Chicken Soup
"This went over very well! I added the juice of a large lemon and a cup or so of white rice because I felt that it needed more and I didn't have the orzo that others suggested. It had a wonderful velvety texture and I will make this again."
"Made this last night for a Lent supper at church....doubled the recipe and still ran out. The pastor even gave it a good review during the service...Doesn't get any better than that! (I did add the Orzo pasta and extra lemon also.)"
"Super yummy!! My husband even liked it and he is not a fan of soup or lemon. He said, "it's a keeper"."
"Even people who do not like soup ask for this again! I put a little more lemon juice than it calls for, but this is fabulous for sick days and for company, deffinately try it!!!!"
"Very easy to make on short notice. One of our favorites."
"This is a hit every time I make it. We add brown rice also."