Lemony Apple Dumplings Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 4 to 5 tablespoons cold milk
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 medium baking apples, peeled and cored
- 1 egg white, beaten
- LEMON SAUCE:
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 cup cold water
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1. Combine flour and 1 teaspoon salt. Cut in shortening until crumbly. Stir in milk until pastry forms a ball; set aside. Stir brown sugar, butter, cinnamon and remaining salt to form a paste. Divide and press into center of each apple; pat any extra filling on outside of apples.
- 2. On a floured surface, roll pastry into a 14-in. square. Cut into four 7-in. squares. Place one apple in center of each square. Brush edges of pastry with egg white. Fold up corners to center; pinch to seal.
- 3. Place in a greased 9-in. square baking dish. Bake at 375° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown.
- 4. Meanwhile, combine sugar and cornstarch in a saucepan. Stir in water. Bring to a boil; boil 2 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in remaining ingredients until smooth. Serve warm over warm dumplings. Yield: 4 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 756 calories, 34 g fat (15 g saturated fat), 48 mg cholesterol, 1,018 mg sodium, 108 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 7 g protein.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.