Lemony Apple Dumplings Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 4 to 5 tablespoons cold milk
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 medium baking apples, peeled and cored
- 1 egg white, beaten
- LEMON SAUCE:
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 cup cold water
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1. Combine flour and 1 teaspoon salt. Cut in shortening until crumbly. Stir in milk until pastry forms a ball; set aside. Stir brown sugar, butter, cinnamon and remaining salt to form a paste. Divide and press into center of each apple; pat any extra filling on outside of apples.
- 2. On a floured surface, roll pastry into a 14-in. square. Cut into four 7-in. squares. Place one apple in center of each square. Brush edges of pastry with egg white. Fold up corners to center; pinch to seal.
- 3. Place in a greased 9-in. square baking dish. Bake at 375° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown.
- 4. Meanwhile, combine sugar and cornstarch in a saucepan. Stir in water. Bring to a boil; boil 2 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in remaining ingredients until smooth. Serve warm over warm dumplings. Yield: 4 servings.
1 each: 756 calories, 34g fat (15g saturated fat), 48mg cholesterol, 1018mg sodium, 108g carbohydrate (66g sugars, 4g fiber), 7g protein.
Reviews for Lemony Apple Dumplings
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.