Lemony Acorn Slices Recipe
- 2 large acorn squash (about 2-1/4 pounds each)
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons water, divided
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Lemon wedges and fresh mint, optional
- 1. Cut squash in half lengthwise; remove and discard the seeds and membrane. Cut each half widthwise into 1/2-in. slices; discard ends. Place slices in a large skillet. Add 1 cup water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until tender.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a heavy saucepan, combine sugar and remaining water. Cook over medium heat until sugar melts and syrup is golden, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat; carefully add the lemon juice, butter, salt and pepper. Cook and stir over low heat until butter melts. Place squash on a serving plate; top with syrup. Garnish with lemon and mint if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
2 each: 219 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 5mg cholesterol, 128mg sodium, 53g carbohydrate (24g sugars, 5g fiber), 3g protein.
Reviews for Lemony Acorn Slices
"Nice recipe. I only made half, with one acorn squash. I would have liked a little more sauce, but the lemony flavor is a nice change from the usual brown sugar glaze."
"I've been making this since I found it in the magazine. We love it just as it is! Thanks for sharing the recipe."
"I only used 1 Acorn squash as I made it for the two of us. However, I accidentally only put in half the amount of sugar as I initially was going to make half the amount of sauce, but ended up putting the full amount of all the other ingredients. It was more 'lemony' than a sweet lemon taste but perfect for our taste buds."
"Made a 1/4 recipe because my acorn squash was only 1.25 pounds. It needed more syrup/sauce, but tasted good. We, too, ate the peel (extra fiber) because it was good."
"This was awesome!! Everyone in my family loved it. We even ate the peeling. I highly recommend this!! Thanks for sharing!"