Lemony Acorn Slices Recipe
- 2 large acorn squash (about 2-1/4 pounds each)
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons water, divided
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Lemon wedges and fresh mint, optional
- Cut squash in half lengthwise; remove and discard the seeds and membrane. Cut each half widthwise into 1/2-in. slices; discard ends. Place slices in a large skillet. Add 1 cup water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, in a heavy saucepan, combine sugar and remaining water. Cook over medium heat until sugar melts and syrup is golden, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat; carefully add the lemon juice, butter, salt and pepper. Cook and stir over low heat until butter melts. Place squash on a serving plate; top with syrup. Garnish with lemon and mint if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Lemony Acorn Slices(4)
Sort By :
I've been making this since I found it in the magazine. We love it just as it is! Thanks for sharing the recipe.
I only used 1 Acorn squash as I made it for the two of us. However, I accidentally only put in half the amount of sugar as I initially was going to make half the amount of sauce, but ended up putting the full amount of all the other ingredients. It was more 'lemony' than a sweet lemon taste but perfect for our taste buds.
Made a 1/4 recipe because my acorn squash was only 1.25 pounds. It needed more syrup/sauce, but tasted good. We, too, ate the peel (extra fiber) because it was good.
This was awesome!! Everyone in my family loved it. We even ate the peeling. I highly recommend this!! Thanks for sharing!
More Recipe Collections
- Acorn Squash Recipes >
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Side Dishes >
- Comfort Food Vegetarian Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Fat Side Dishes >
- Low Sodium Recipes >
- Low Sodium Side Dishes >
- Side Dish Recipes >
- Squash Recipes >
- Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Taste of Home Magazine Side Dish Recipes >
- Taste of Home Magazine Vegetarian Recipes >
- Thanksgiving Recipes >
- Thanksgiving Side Dishes >