Lemonade Meringue Pie Recipe
- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 1-1/4 cups 2% milk
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1 package (4.6 ounces) cook-and-serve vanilla pudding mix
- 1/3 cup thawed lemonade concentrate
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1. Line a 9-in. pie plate with pastry; trim and flute edges. Line unpricked pastry with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Bake at 450° for 8 minutes. Remove foil; bake 5-7 minutes longer or until lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack.
- 2. Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, combine the milk, sour cream and pudding mix until smooth. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer.
- 3. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Gently stir in lemonade concentrate; keep warm.
- 4. Add lemon juice and cream of tartar to egg whites; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved.
- 5. Pour warm filling into pastry shell. Spread meringue evenly over filling, sealing edges to crust.
- 6. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until the meringue is golden brown. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving. Store leftovers in the refrigerator. Yield: 8 servings.
1 piece: 343 calories, 15g fat (8g saturated fat), 107mg cholesterol, 256mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate (31g sugars, 0g fiber), 6g protein .
Reviews for Lemonade Meringue Pie
"I made this recipe yesterday. I followed every time-consuming step. I think there's an easier way to make this pie but I wouldn't bother because when I served it it was watery and didn't even have the consistency of pudding! I was so disappointed. It just didn't set up. I'm sticking to the old fashioned lemon meringue pie recipe of my mom's!!"
"The issue was April/May 2008.It has alot of good recipes."
"Does anyone know which issue of Taste of Home this recipe came from? It had this pie and the slice 'n bake lemon gems on the cover and was titled "simply mouth-watering". I'd like to order a copy of the back issue. Thanks!"
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.