Lemonade Meringue Pie Recipe
- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1-1/4 cups 2% milk
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1 package (4.6 ounces) cook-and-serve vanilla pudding mix
- 1/3 cup thawed lemonade concentrate
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1. Line a 9-in. pie plate with pastry; trim and flute edges. Line unpricked pastry with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Bake at 450° for 8 minutes. Remove foil; bake 5-7 minutes longer or until lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack.
- 2. Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, combine the milk, sour cream and pudding mix until smooth. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer.
- 3. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Gently stir in lemonade concentrate; keep warm.
- 4. Add lemon juice and cream of tartar to egg whites; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved.
- 5. Pour warm filling into pastry shell. Spread meringue evenly over filling, sealing edges to crust.
- 6. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until the meringue is golden brown. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving. Store leftovers in the refrigerator. Yield: 8 servings.
1 piece equals 343 calories, 15 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 107 mg cholesterol, 256 mg sodium, 46 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 6 g protein.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.