- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1-1/3 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons thawed lemonade concentrate
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon peel
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 cups buttermilk
- 8 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon peel
- 2 teaspoons thawed lemonade concentrate
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar until crumbly, about 2 minutes. Add the lemonade concentrate, lemon peel and vanilla; mix well. Add eggs and egg whites, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add to the butter mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition.
- Coat two 9-in. round baking pans with cooking spray and dust with flour. Pour batter into prepared pans.
- Bake at 350° for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a small bowl, combine cream cheese and butter until smooth. Add the lemon peel, lemonade concentrate and vanilla; mix well. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar until smooth. Spread frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 16 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Lemonade Layer Cake
"really a good cake, loved th3e lemon flavor and we really liked it. but it is not a cake for everyday eating"
"This recipe is just delicious! I made it for a special meeting and the women loved it. Every time I use a "Taste of Home" recipe everyone wants the recipe. Keep up the good work. I love your website!"
"I read the reviews before I made this cake and I saw that there could be a problem with the cakes falling in the middle. When I made mine, I saw that after cooking for 20 minutes the sides of the cake looked done and the middle was not cooked. I lowered my oven to 300 degrees and watched the cake carefully and finally the toothpick came out clean. I thought the cake tasted okay, but not as lemony as I expected. The icing was too sweet. My husband did not like it at all. I love lemon and I was disappointed in the cake."
"This cake was easy to make. I see some had problems with the layers. I cooked the cake 28 minutes. The layers came out perfect and frosting was easy to handle except I would have put a little powdered sugar to make a much stiffer frosting.Will make in sheet cake form the next time."
"I made the cake exactly as written...cooked 25min., toothpick came out clean, as it cooled, middle sunk in, wouldn't come out ot pans, middle was still gooey! Frosting was good though even though I had to go buy a cake mix and start over!"
"I used PINK lemonade, changed 1 tsp vanilla for 1 tsp cherry extract. It was sweet and wonderful; tasted like a celebration cake! So we celebrated and indulged. Yes, too rich/heavy/dense for regular consumption. But for an occasion--try it."
"I made the cake in a 9x13" pan and used less sugar, but I agree with those who said it was too heavy. Would not make it again. But I did like the lemon frosting and will use that again."
"I couldn't make this a layer cake but it did just fine in a 9x13 pan. The lemon flavor is fantastic!! Both the cake and the icing are packed with the flavor. The cake was a bit heavy so I might experiment with the batter to try to make it lighter but I will definitely make this again!"
"Very heavy and dense; too much frosting. Big disappointment."
"The cake did not rise well and did not have the best texture. The taste was good, but not great"