Lemonade Layer Cake Recipe
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1-1/3 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons thawed lemonade concentrate
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon peel
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 cups buttermilk
- 1 package (8 ounces) reduced-fat cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon peel
- 2 teaspoons thawed lemonade concentrate
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar until crumbly, about 2 minutes. Add the lemonade concentrate, lemon peel and vanilla; mix well. Add eggs and egg whites, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add to the butter mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition.
- Coat two 9-in. round baking pans coated with cooking spray and dusted with flour. Pour batter to prepared pans.
- Bake at 350° for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a small bowl, combine cream cheese and butter until smooth. Add the lemon peel, lemonade concentrate and vanilla; mix well. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar until smooth. Spread frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 16 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Lemonade Layer Cake(16)
Sort By :
This recipe is just delicious! I made it for a special meeting and the women loved it. Every time I use a "Taste of Home" recipe everyone wants the recipe. Keep up the good work. I love your website!
I read the reviews before I made this cake and I saw that there could be a problem with the cakes falling in the middle. When I made mine, I saw that after cooking for 20 minutes the sides of the cake looked done and the middle was not cooked. I lowered my oven to 300 degrees and watched the cake carefully and finally the toothpick came out clean. I thought the cake tasted okay, but not as lemony as I expected. The icing was too sweet. My husband did not like it at all. I love lemon and I was disappointed in the cake.
This cake was easy to make. I see some had problems with the layers. I cooked the cake 28 minutes. The layers came out perfect and frosting was easy to handle except I would have put a little powdered sugar to make a much stiffer frosting.
Will make in sheet cake form the next time.
I made the cake exactly as written...cooked 25min., toothpick came out clean, as it cooled, middle sunk in, wouldn't come out ot pans, middle was still gooey! Frosting was good though even though I had to go buy a cake mix and start over!
I used PINK lemonade, changed 1 tsp vanilla for 1 tsp cherry extract. It was sweet and wonderful; tasted like a celebration cake! So we celebrated and indulged. Yes, too rich/heavy/dense for regular consumption. But for an occasion--try it.
More Recipe Collections
- Baby Shower Recipes >
- Bridal Shower Recipes >
- Cake Frosting >
- Cake Recipes >
- Cakes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Comfort Food Desserts >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Cream Cheese Recipes >
- Desserts >
- Easter Desserts >
- Easter Recipes >