- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 1 cup (8 ounces) fat-free plain yogurt
- 3 large egg whites
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Whisk the yogurt, egg whites, lemon juice, peel and extract; stir into crumb mixture just until moistened.
- Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full. Bake at 350° for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Yield: about 1 dozen.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Lemon-Yogurt Tea Cakes
Sort By :
"Love the lemon tea cakes. These will be perfect for Easter Brunch. I will definitely make these lemon tea cakes again. They were delicious; batter was a bit thick. You can also try this with oranges ."
"Light, tender with just the right amount of lemon"
"Can these be made with Greek yogurt?"
"I love this recipe and have been making these muffins for years. One of my favorites!"
"These are delicious! The batter was quite thick, so I didn't know what to expect. But they turned out very light, spongy, and tasty! They have just the right amount of lemon flavor."