- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup (8 ounces) lemon or plain yogurt
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. In another bowl, whisk the egg, yogurt, butter and lemon juice. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 400° for 20-24 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes; leave muffins in pan.
- Using a toothpick, poke 6-8 holes in each muffin. In a saucepan, combine the topping ingredients. Cook and stir over low heat until sugar is dissolved. Spoon over warm muffins. Yield: 1 dozen.
Reviews for Lemon Yogurt Muffins
"Family favourite! I followed the recipe measurements exactly, making sure to sift my dry ingredients before adding the sugar. I think it is crucial to have the egg and yogurt and lemon juice at room temperature. I used plain 2% balkan style yogurt.. if I had used greek I think the batter would have been too dry. I also baked at 375 degrees (non-convection since I didn't want browning) and only for about 16 minutes. I live at sea level. I knew if I had baked at 400 for 20 mins they would have been too dry. I had lots of topping left, but used it to make myself a big glass of lemonade!"
"My batter looked too thick amd because of a review noting dryness I added a half cup of sour cream.. Also added a cup of fresh blueberries. They seemed to be browning too fast so I turned the oven down to 375. Remember to mix as little as possible just to moisten or muffins turn tough. My favorite lemon glaze includes 2 Tbsp of melted butter so this is an option, also I cool it in the refrig before putting on top of cooled muffins so the goodness stays on top of the muffin.Best muffin recipe I have come across otherwise."
"why no picture, just made them and can*t wait to taste* they are cooling now*****"
"Yummy! Great with whole wheat flour. 6 oz vanilla yogurt works great."
"I thought this recipe came out rather dry.I think the problem is the amount of flour that was used. I feel it was too much. The ingredient were nice but these muffins should have been very moist."
"Very moist and delicious!!! I substituted Lemon flavored Jello for a portion of the sugar for more of a lemon blast! Tasted great!"
"About the messy part, that is true, I put a cookie sheet under my muffin pan to catch the over flow and I found using a gravy ladle helpful when adding the sauce to the tops."
"I love how lemony it tastes, they are a little sticky to eat so make sure you have a napkin on hand. I'm excited to make them again soon."
"These are definitely a keeper. The only thing I didn't like was when the lemon sauce was spooned over the muffins, it was messy"